Fri Oct 28 10:25:13 SAST 2016
Order restored at Sun City Prison after fiery protest over inmates’ TVs

Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.


By Sibongile Mashaba and Sne Masuku | Jun 18, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

LEGENDARY singer Busi Mhlongo's wish was to "have a dramatic exit".

LEGENDARY singer Busi Mhlongo's wish was to "have a dramatic exit".

And three days after the maskandi exponent's death, her family claims they cannot make funeral arrangements since her manager and friend of 20 years Niel Comfort is withholding her identity document.

When Mhlongo's health started to deteriorate in February, she moved into Comfort's home.

Her two sisters, Janet and Beauty, helped take care of her.

Now her family wants to bury her but they claim Comfort is refusing to hand over her documents.

"We all know that this is about Busi's royalties," said a source close to the family.

"It is saddening. All we want is for Busi to be buried in peace and in a dignified way, nothing more."

The 62-year-old world-renowned music icon succumbed to breast cancer at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Hospital in Durban on Tuesday.

The source said the family was devastated by her death and having to deal with Comfort was too much for them.

"He does not have the right to claim Busi's body. What is he going to do with it? We never thought he would do this to the family.

"If he wanted to be part of the burial arrangements he should have sat down with the family. They wouldn't have pushed him away," the source said.

But Comfort hit back yesterday, saying as executor of Mhlongo's estate he needed to keep the ID.

"I went to the hospital yesterday. I've sorted it out for them. They don't need the ID."

Mhlongo's niece, Nomthandazo Mtshali,yesterday shared her aunt's last moment with Sowetan.

"When we arrived she was in such bad shape, worse than when she left home for the hospital.

"We sang religious songs for her, we made small talk, massaged her hands. But her condition was getting worse. We could see that she was drifting away.

"She kept on saying 'talk to me please'. We were afraid. We were just sitting helplessly there.

"We knew what was about to happen. All we did was pray harder and harder," said Mtshali.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT