THE Nelson Mandela Foundation remained mum yesterday when allegations emerged that Zenani Mandela's father was behind the wheel of the vehicle in which she was killed.
City Press newspaper reported yesterday that a tow truck driver - who asked not to be named - said the driver identified himself on the scene of the accident as the father of Nelson Mandela's great-granddaughter.
Foundation spokesperson Sello Hatang said the organisation had no comment.
"We don't want to respond at this moment. We are still trying to deal with this allegation. At this stage there is no response."
The newspaper quoted the tow truck driver as saying: "We asked who the little girl was and he said it was his daughter. I didn't want to take photographs of the child because it was too terrible."
Zenani Mandela was killed when the car she was travelling in crashed into a barrier on the M1 highway, south of Johannesburg, in the early hours of Friday. She had turned 13 two days earlier.
She was returning from the Soccer World Cup concert at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto. Mandela's former wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, had also attended the concert separately and had to be rushed to hospital to be treated for shock on hearing the news.
According to The Star newspaper she was in the same car, which the foundation subsequently denied.
The foundation had previously said a man arrested in connection with the accident was a relative of the teenager.
According to City Press, the driver, who would have faced a charge of culpable homicide, had been released from custody.
On Friday morning police spokesperson Brigadier Govindsamy Mariemuthoo said: "The case has been struck off the roll for further investigation."
Yesterday Hatang said the police would have to explain why the decision was taken to strike the case off the roll.
On hearing of the accident, Mandela decided it would be inappropriate to attend the World Cup opening ceremony or game on Friday afternoon. - Sapa