Fri Oct 28 16:12:07 CAT 2016
Gender equality - Stock image
Security guards get two years’ pay after being fired for being women

Twenty-eight female guards were unfairly dismissed by a security company because the client‚ Metrora.

molefe's appointment 'unlawful'

By Sibongile Mashaba | May 25, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE SABC board has reversed the appointment of Phil Molefe as the public broadcaster's head of news and current affairs.

Molefe's appointment sparked anger after board chairperson Ben Ngubane and SABC group chief executive Solly Mokoetle made the decision without consulting other members.

After an urgent meeting on Saturday, which Ngubane and Mokoetle did not attend, SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said the board had decided that Molefe's appointment was unlawful.

"The SABC board resolved that the purported appointment of group executive for news and current affairs head Phil Molefe is null and void and has no legal effect," Kganyago said

The controversy around Molefe's appointment started on Thursday, a few minutes after Ngubane named him the new head of news. Molefe had been acting in the position for a year.

Ngubane's statement was followed quickly by one from the board's deputy chairperson, Felleng Sekha, who said no appointment had been made because the board was "still going through the shortlist of candidates".

Ten members of the 12-member board agreed to continue with the "process of assessing candidates that had not yet been concluded".

"The board heard legal opinion that the appointment was not lawful because it had not been made by the board in a manner required by the SABC's memorandum and articles of association.

"The articles of association and delegation of authority framework states that appointments at a group executive level must be made by the board," Kganyago said.

He said the board believed it would be failing in its fiduciary and oversight duties were it not to exercise this responsibility.

"It should be stressed that the board regrets any embarrassment to any of the candidates for the position of chief executive news and current affairs," he said.

A pressure group, Save Our SABC Coalition, which was formed in 2008 to deal with crises at the broadcaster, said they welcomed the decision.

Coalition coordinator Kate Skinner said yesterday: "We still call for a full investigation into the appointment process and that appropriate action be taken against Ngubane and Mokoetle.

"If appropriate, this includes asking them to resign. Corporate governance breaches at the SABC cannot be tolerated. We need to make a clean break with the SABC's past."

The Communication Workers Union said it was satisfied with the speed at which the board acted in reversing the illegal appointment of Molefe.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT