Fri Oct 28 12:22:13 SAST 2016
Gender equality - Stock image
Security guards get two years’ pay after being fired for being women

Twenty-eight female guards were unfairly dismissed by a security company because the client‚ Metrora.

Eskom's World Cup pledge: No power cuts

By Katlego Moeng and Vusi Xaba | May 25, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

SOUTH Africans are not likely to experience any load shedding during the Soccer World Cup period, but there is no guarantee it will not hit them afterwards.

Eskom has done simulation tests on its systems and has also done research based on other big international events, including power consumption during the German World Cup.

It has also had its systems tested by the South Korean Power Company which also hosted a successful World Cup.

A Parliamentary portfolio committee delegation inspected the utility's readiness and all have given the utility the thumbs up.

Erica Johnson, Eskom chief officer of customer Network Business also dismissed any chance of the National Union of Mineworkers leading a strike, saying: "Eskom is an essential services industry, so strikes are not allowed."

She said, however, that contingency plans were in place.

"We are saying that we are ready. We have worked on our readiness for three to four years. We know which network areas are critical and we will secure them.

"There is a very low chance of having any load shedding. In the event that we do need more power we do have reserves and we have coordinated with the Southern African Power Pool community to supply us with electricity in the very unlikely event that we need it," Johnson said.

Meanwhile, the National Union of Mineworkers and Eskom were yesterday engaged in frantic negotiations in a bid to avert a strike planned for tomorrow.

NUM spokesperson Lesiba Seshoka said the union had left it to Eskom to prevent the looming chaos that might disrupt the World Cup if they did not heed their demands carried on from last year's outstanding disputes.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT