THREE-YEAR-OLD Lindelwa Msomi, from Gunjaneni outside Mtubatuba, died when a house she was sleeping in caught fire.
The fire was caused by a candle that had been left burning by her 10-year-old cousin.
Lindelwa had been left in the care of her uncle, who was asleep in another house, and her cousin, who was in the kitchen when the fire started.
"A candle had been left burning by the deceased's cousin, who was doing something else in another part of the house, a neighbour said. "It is suspected that a fire started when some curtains caught fire from the candle and spread throughout the house.
"Smoke was seen coming from the house, then huge flames.
"It was too late to save her. When the fire finally subsided, her body was found under the bed."