SIXTEEN of the 28 people who died in a horrific bus accident in Western Cape have been identified.
The Engcobo Bus Organisation yesterday said families of those still to be identified were being transported to De Doorns, where the accident happened last Wednesday.
"We are transporting more people to Western Cape to identify members of their families. At least nine of the people who were seriously injured have been discharged from hospitals," said the organisation's secretary Madodomzi Gontsana.
He said they hoped to have identified all bodies by Friday.
"Most of the survivors continued with their journey to Cape Town," he said.
Four children were among those killed when the driver of the unroadworthy bus lost control and it overturned on the Hex River Pass from Touws River to De Doorns. The bus was from Engcobo in Eastern Cape to Cape Town. There were 77 passengers in the 55-seater. The owner of the bus was slightly injured in the accident.
The bus had been taken off the road three times before the accident. eNatis records have confirmed that the bus was given a notice to discontinue operations.
Eastern Cape Arrive Alive spokesperson Tshepo Matshaya confirmed the bus was taken off the road on October 29. The owner's brother was driving the bus. He escaped with minor injuries.
The owner has been charged with murder and the driver with culpable homicide. They were not asked to plead and will again appear in the Touws River periodical court on Wednesday.