Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
JOHANNESBURG mayor Amos Masondo yesterday vowed that the roll-out of BRT would continue despite violence and intimidation.
Masondo was speaking at the Gauteng legislature during a function to mark the roll-out of phase 1A of BRT with a new feeder bus system from Eldorado Park and Protea Glen to the trunk route in Thokoza Park.
A passenger, Phumlani Mayisela, died when two BRT buses came under fire in two separate incidents in Orlando West and Molapo, near Koma Road, on Friday.
Seven other passengers and the driver of one of the buses were wounded.
Masondo said: "I would like to send my condolences to the Mayisela family. We will not allow his death to be in vain. South Africans are a courageous nation and we will not be held to ransom by those who refuse to embrace development."
In August last year two passengers, including a police officer, were injured when unknown men fired on a BRT bus shortly after the launch.
A former taxi driver, who now drives a BRT bus, had his house petrol-bombed following another launch of the BRT service on March 15.
Friday's attack happened before the launch of another service yesterday morning.
City of Johannesburg's member of the mayoral committee on transport Rehana Moosajee said police were not always on the buses and were called when the need arose. She said they would add more police officers now to keep commuters safe.
She could not say whether the victims would be compensated, saying they were talking to the families.