Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.
THE man who stabbed and left his own child for dead has a history of violence, the Randfontein magistrate's court heard yesterday.
The accused, aged 26, who was denied bail and remanded in custody in the Krugersdorp prison, will appear in court on May 20.
Arrested two weeks ago after allegedly stabbing his three-year-old twin daughter in the neck and attempting to strangle the other twin a few metres from their grandfather's house in the West Rand township of Mohlakeng, the accused was described as a man with "violent tendencies".
Warrant Officer Karen Nel said the accused should not be granted bail.
Nel told the court a witness had seen the attempted murder suspect standing over his bleeding child, with his hand grasped around the neck of the other.
State prosecutor Thulani Ngubane told Judge Ettienne van Niekerk that "it would not serve the interests of justice if the suspect was awarded bail".
Ngubane said the accused could seek access to his victims and other family members with the intention of harming them.
The sombre-looking accused, dressed in a black tracksuit, told the court he wanted bail to "work for my children".
He also said he wanted to "correct" the mistake he had made.
When Ngubane asked him which mistake he was referring to, he answered: "The one I have been arrested for."
Before denying him bail Van Niekerk told the accused that "you cannot handle your liquor, so you are a danger to yourself and others".
The man had earlier blamed alcohol for his actions. The victims' mother told Sowetan that the children's father would turn violent after drinking heavily.
The judge, when denying bail , said: "The community demands that those people who commit crimes against children should not be given bail."
He said that the state had a "strong case" against the accused.
The victims' grandfather said he was "relieved".
"Now my kids will be safe," he said. "There's no need for them to hide anymore."