Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela has denied allegations that student leader Mcebo Dla.
THE two men arrested for the assault on baby Marzaan Kruger and her minder, Francina Sekhu, have asked to be released from custody.
Nelson Maphosa, 28, and Gerald Nyantumbo, 25, made the request in the Johannesburg magistrate's court yesterday.
"When I was arrested police said they were looking for my brother. He stole a cellphone and sold it to accused number one (Nyantumbo) and in that regard I ask to be released on free bail," Maphosa said through a court interpreter.
Nyantumbo, looking dejected in a short-sleeved khaki shirt, told the court he should be released on "free bail" since he had children to look after.
The men were arrested in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, on Saturday after allegedly assaulting the one-year-old baby and Sekhu in the Kruger family home in Robindale, Randburg, on Thursday last week.
Magistrate Simon Radasi said the two men had the right to apply for bail but they had to follow court procedures.
According to South African law suspects charged with schedule six crimes, which include murder, rape and robbery, have to formally apply for bail.
Yesterday's hearing was not a formal bail application.
"You are charged with very serious crimes, for which the minimum prescribed sentence is 15 years in prison," Radasi warned the men.
He advised them to apply for legal aid, should they not be able to afford their own lawyers.
Both men, who face two charges of attempted murder and one of robbery with aggravating circumstances, applied for legal aid.
The state opposed bail and the men were remanded in custody. The case was postponed to May 12 for further investigation.
Gauteng police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Eugene Opperman said they were still looking for a third man, Mozambican Chakhoma Machaba. - Sapa