Thu Oct 27 14:58:05 SAST 2016

More arrests in desecration of ANC man's grave

By Frank Maponya | Apr 26, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE family of the late Norman Mashabane, who was killed in a car accident in 2007, is relieved at the arrest of three more men in connection with the desecration of his tombstone.

The tombstone, which was erected in the cemetery for former activists, was found vandalised on April 11 in Phalaborwa.

Family spokesperson Steven Mashabane said yesterday they could not presume to know whether there was an ulterior motive relating to the vandalism of the tombstone.

This was after he had earlier said the family had sent out messages of apology to all the people the deceased might have wronged while he was still alive.

"For now, we are happy that the police are doing their best in handling the matter," he said.

Four suspects were charged with high treason, possession of illegal explosives, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, including the violation of a grave.

On Tuesday last week Georgios Kiratzidis of Phalaborwa was arrested in connection with the matter.

Police searched his house and confiscated a 9mm pistol with its serial number filed off.

Several live rounds and magazines, home-made explosives and two computers were found in his house.

During follow-up investigations three more suspects were arrested on Thursday. The three were identified as Martin Vorster, 19, Francois de Vos, 35, and Ruan Louw, 21, all from Phalaborwa.

All four will appear in court again on May 14.

They were refused bail.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT