Tue Oct 25 05:23:33 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

moreartistsfor2010 gig

By Olebogeng Molatlhwa and Patience Bambalele | Apr 15, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE Creative Workers Union of South Africa (Cwusa) says it aims to have a performer from each of the five African countries coming to the World Cup in June at the event's opening concert.

Cwusa president Mabutho "Kid" Sithole led negotiations with the local organising committee (LOC) and the Department of Arts and Culture to include more African artists in the concert at Orlando Stadium in Soweto on June 10.

And on Tuesday the parties agreed to rope in six more artists to appease locals who are upset by being left out of the line-up.

The artists have now called off the protest march to Safa House this morning and the "People's Concert" they had planned as a parallel event at Dobsonville Stadium on June 10.

Tuesday's meeting was attended by LOC chief executive Danny Jordaan, Sithole and Minister of Arts and Culture Lulu Xingwana, who chaired it.

Sithole said a committee of the LOC's Nobuhle Mbongo, Cwusa's Oupa Salemane, actress Florence Masebe and the ministry's David Tlale had been set up to decide on the six African artists.

Vusi Mahlasela, BLK JKS, the Parlatones, Angelique Kidjo, Amadou and Mariam, Tinariwen and Vieux Farka Toure were the only Africans included in the initial line-up, which was dominated by US artists.

According to the organisers, international artists Alicia Keys, the Black Eyed Peas, John Legend and Shakira were expected to dominate the prime-time slot "to draw a maximum international audience".

Sithole said yesterday: "We are content. We feel that the inclusion of more (local) artists will help showcase the enormous talent in this country and on the continent at large."

Artist and chairperson of African Musicians against HIV-Aids Doc Shebeleza said they were happy with the change of heart.

Kwaito "king" Arthur Mafokate said: "Thanks to the minister for her undying love for the country, you and the SABC are God-sent."

Meanwhile, the SABC says it will broadcast only local and African music during the World Cup.

From next month until July, the public broadcaster's 15 radio stations will broadcast 85percent local music while securing 15percent airtime for the rest of Africa.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT