THERE'S nothing wrong with going out for a few drinks and some partying on the weekend or a special occasion with a group of friends. Unfortunately clubs are also prime spots for women to become targeted.
A woman can easily lose her group of friends in a loud and crowded bar, get her drink drugged unknowingly, or be followed or worse, by a perpetrator looking for a victim.
Make sure the night is one with a happy ending with these tips to help you to stay safe:
- Always have enough money on you for any emergencies. Take extra cash just in case you need a taxi home. If using a cab, always book over the phone.
- Eat a good meal before you go out or start enjoying drinks.
- Charge your phone before you go out.
- If you think you might be having sex, take some condoms.
- Make sure you know and trust the people you are going out with.
- Arrange a time and place to meet, and carry your phone with you so you can call someone if you need to.
- Never leave your drink unattended.
- If you are drinking from a bottle, hold your thumb over the opening when you are not drinking. This will help to protect you from drink spiking.
- Know your limits.
- Don't be reckless when it comes to drinking.
- Don't mix drinks, or drink too quickly.
- If you feel like you've had too much to drink, calm down. Ask a friend to get you a glass of water and sit down for a while.
- Always let your friends know when you are leaving a club. Make sure you tell them as soon as you get home. Make this part of your going out routine so that your friends know that if they don't hear from you, they should check up by calling you, or someone you live with.
- Don't walk anywhere on your own in the dark. If you have to, stick to well-lit areas.
- Avoid being too drunk, because then you make yourself more vulnerable.
- Additional information from www.womenfirst.com