THE family of a man who was killed after being run over by a speeding car two years ago has accused the justice system of failing to handle the matter satisfactorily.
Lesiba William Molefe, 25, who lived in Mookgopong (formerly Naboomspruit), was killed while crossing a road in the town on the night of August 2 2008. The car that hit him had failed to stop at the accident scene. The owner was later found hiding in the toilets of a local filling station.
The matter was reported to the police, who sent it to the director for public prosecutions for a decision.
Of concern to the family is that the prosecutor who handled the matter had forwarded incomplete documents to the director of public prosecutions.
According to a letter dated February 28 last year from the DPP and obtained by Sowetan, the director of public prosecutions was concerned that the docket was incomplete.
The letter was sent to the DPP by the prosecutor at Mookgophong, Elba Nel. On the basis of that, the DPP had declined to prosecute.
The letter reads in part: "On available evidence, I can find no reason to further investigate possible irregular conduct by any member of the police or the traffic department."
Family spokesperson Sello Molefe, who is also the dead man's elder brother, said they had since discovered that the suspect was allegedly whisked away from the accident scene by a senior traffic officer.
"We have lost confidence in the manner in which the matter had been handled," said Molefe.
Nel said yesterday she did not send incomplete documents to the DPP.