Thu Oct 27 03:11:07 CAT 2016
Former Wits SRC President Mcebo Dlamini. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Dlamini ‘in facility where gays and police are placed’

Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane on Tuessday reassured the public that student l.

'failed' pupils go on the rampage

By Chester Makana | Feb 26, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

AN administrative blunder by the Limpopo department of education caused 145 pupils to go on the rampage yesterday.

The 138 pupils from Ozias Davhana High and seven from HS Philip Memorial High were allegedly told to repeat their previous class yesterday - a month and half after schools re-opened.

Parents and pupils were bussed to a high school hall in Louis Trichardt and told to accept that the department of education had made a mistake when it passed the pupils.

The affected pupils were mainly from Grades 10 and 11. According to information from the department of education the pupils had marks added to their original marks by teachers, which enabled them to pass.

The announcement comes after a departmental investigation found that the pupils were passed by their schools though their marks did not make them eligible for a pass.

After the announcement angry pupils allegedly went to their schools and vandalised them.

Naledzani Tshitangoni, a parent, said the department's announcement had left their children depressed. He said their children were now threatening to commit suicide or drop out.

"They made a mess and our children are hurt. We now have to guard our children because they are threatening to kill themselves," he said.

Department spokesperson Ndo Mangala confirmed the incident but refused to comment.

Last month pupils at the Tshirululuni and Matshavhawe high schools in Makhado were also forced to return to their previous classes after it was discovered they had been promoted though they had failed.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT