THE bodies of nine Zimbabwean nationals, who died last week in an accident involving four cars outside Polokwane, are finally headed home for burials.
The bodies had been lying in a government mortuary in Polokwane since the accident occurred on February 2.
The relatives were expected to collect the bodies yesterday afternoon.
The accident involved a bus, a car, a minibus and a small truck on the N1 road between Polokwane and Matoks.
Eleven people died on the scene, one of them a South African citizen.
According to the Road Accident Fund (RAF), the family of the other victim did not pitch up to fill in the necessary documentation for repatriation, hence the body would remain in South Africa until they come forward.
RAF spokesperson Mandla Mvelase said yesterday the bodies would be repatriated at no cost to the families of the deceased.
He said RAF will also pay the funeral costs of the deceased.
"The families of the victims have requested permission to conduct rituals at the scene of the accident and it was granted," Mvelase said.
He said they had arranged for traffic officials to accompany the relatives to the crash scene so that they (traffic officials) could assist in controlling traffic.