Sat Oct 22 20:04:38 SAST 2016

Minister sued over 'failed' op

By Alfred Moselakgomo | Feb 02, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

A LOCAL woman is suing Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi for a cool R3million after a botched surgery while she was giving birth at a government hospital.

The operation allegedly left her with a permanent hole in her lung and unable to conceive again.

On September 21 2006 Mmametlhake Hospital doctors allegedly "negligently" performed a Caesarian on Daphney Matsemela of Koedoespoort near Marapyane in KwaMhlanga area.

Matsemela told Sowetan that she had gone to the hospital for child birth (full vaginal delivery) and as a result an episiotomy (cutting of part of the viginal lip to aid delivery) was conducted on her.

She insists that the operation was negligently performed because she has had a permanent hole in her lung since then.

Matsemela says she went back to the Mmametlhake Hospital on several occasions to be treated but to no avail.

"At my last visit to Mmametlhake I was referred to the Witbank Hospital. I went there on three occasions but received no treatment.

Matsemela said every time she goes to the toilet, her stool passes through the hole in her lung.

She said at first she used to wonder why it was so painful for her to relieve herself and it was only after she approached social workers that they advised her to seek therapy.

"At that consultation I learnt that I have a claim in law and I immediately approached lawyers," she said.

"My lawyers also believe that I have a valid case against the health minister for negligence."

Matsemela's lawyers, Moepi Attorneys, confirmed the R3m lawsuit against Motsoaledi.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT