SAFA and Chile soccer bosses have struck a deal on the March 3 friendly, resulting in the South Americans dropping a potentially explosive lawsuit against Bafana Bafana.
The enraged Chileans were in the country last week on a two-pronged mission the 2010 World Cup inspection and to inform Safa about their plans to take legal action for breach of contract.
After Chile beat Bafana 2-0 at the old Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane last February, it was agreed the two sides would play a reciprocal match in Santiago on March 3.
The aim of the friendly, which Chile were also using to prepare for the 2010 Fifa World Cup, was to coincide with the celebrations to open their new soccer stadium.
Following the return of Brazilian Carlos Alberto Parreira as Bafana coach, the Chile match was postponed indefinitely.
Sowetan can reveal that at a meeting last Thursday, the Chileans informed Safa about their plans to sue. "We are surprised Chile are still promoting the game in Santiago. We met their delegation and they informed us that they were unhappy Bafana were no longer coming to Santiago. They wanted Bafana to be part of the new stadium opening festivities.
"We agreed to find a suitable date to play the match at a later stage and the matter has since been resolved," said acting Safa president Chief Mwelo Nonkonyana.
Bafana have been asked by the Local Organising Committee to play against Namibia at Moses Mabhida Stadium on March 3 to mark the 100 days to World Cup countdown.
"Chile federation want to sue Safa for breach of contract if Bafana play on March 3," said a top Chilean soccer writer.
Chile soccer bosses could not be reached for comment.