Tue Oct 25 01:42:55 CAT 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

Champ Nedzanani declared fit to fight again

By Bongani Magasela | Jan 27, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

MUVHUSO "Hands of Thunder" Nedzanani has been declared fit and healthy to fight again.

There were fears that the WBO Africa super flyweight champion from Tshimbupfe in Limpopo would not fight again after he was involved in a near-fatal car accident in September last year.

He spent about two weeks in an intensive care unit at the Johannesburg Hospital.

This silky fighter, the WBF's boxer of the year in Africa in 2008, had facial cuts and internal injuries.

Doctor Peter Chadderton examined him last week at the request of Nedzanani's promoter, Branco Milenkovic.

"I did everything, including a brain scan and neurology tests. He is fit to fight," said Chadderton, who examines fighters on behalf of Boxing South Africa.

The governing body also uses him as a ringside physician during fights.

The accident robbed Nedzanani of an opportunity to fight for the vacant WBO junior bantamweight belt. He had been approved to fight against Mexican legend Jorge "Travieso" Arce. Milenkovic was to have presented the bout in December.

"I explained all to the WBO and they showed humanity by not dropping Nedzanani from the No 1 spot," Milenkovic said.

For now Arce will fight Indonesian Angky Angkopa for the vacant WBO title on January 30.

"I will lodge an application with the WBO to have the winner between Arce and Angkopa defend against Nedzanani," Milenkovic said.

"I have already spoken to WBO president Paco Valcarez about working with him as I do with the IBF and WBC and he was more than willing to give South African fighters opportunities. This is an opportunity to open doors for my other fighters in another legitimate boxing organisation."

Nedzanani, 30, the former undefeated Gauteng, SA, WBC International and WBF junior flyweight champion, said he was happy to be back.

"I thought I was not going to box again. Just the thought of it almost killed me. I am relieved and already back in the gym," he said.

Nedzanani has not lost a fight since 2002. He boasts 22 wins (13 KOs) against one loss and three draws. He was voted Boxer of the Year in 2008 by the Gauteng Veteran Club.

Nedzanani's enormous skills are honed by Gert Strydom.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT