Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
A DEADLINE is looming for a waste company to appeal against an order to shut down its Krugersdorp and Johannesburg operations for allegedly illegally dumping medical waste.
The Wasteman company has until mid-February to comply with a notice ordering the shutdown of work at its Krugersdorp incinerator, environment department spokesperson Albi Modise told Sapa yesterday.
"They have until February 15 [to comply with the order]. The company could lodge an appeal against the order before then.
"They have a right to do so. It would come before the minister, " Modise said.
The company, which boasts multimillion rand contracts with more than 150 hospitals and clinics, was raided in connection with alleged illegal dumping.
Medical waste was found at five different sites in Welkom in the Free State since December last year.
Yesterday Modise said investigators continued to unravel circumstances around the illegal dumping of raw waste in the Welkom area. - Sapa