Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
CABINDA - Angolan authorities have captured two separatists in Cabinda following an attack on the Togolese national football team that killed three people, a prosecutor said yesterday.
According to a statement from Antonio Nito, the prosecutor in charge of Cabinda province, two unidentified members of the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda, or Flec, were captured on Sunday near the shooting site.
A Flec leader reportedly in exile in France said yesterday his group had been targeting Angolan troops escorting the Togolese team.
"In war, anything can happen, this is only the beginning," the group's leader Rodrigues Mingas told France-Info radio.
The Togolese team was on its way to Angola to take part in the African Cup of Nations when gunmen opened fire on the bus on Friday. Togo's assistant coach, the team spokesperson, and an Angolan bus driver, were killed.
Eight people were wounded, including a goalkeeper flown to South Africa for treatment.
Doctors said yesterday it was too soon to say whether Kodjovi Obilale will recover to play again. He was said to be in a good condition, an improvement from a day earlier.
Meanwhile, three days of mourning were declared in Togo, where sobbing relatives met a plane on Sunday carrying the dead.
"Our boys went to Angola to celebrate the best in African football but they came back with dead bodies and bullet wounds," said Togbe Aklassou, a chief from the Be area in Lomé. - Sapa-AP