Wed Oct 26 00:56:13 SAST 2016
Mkhwebane leaves Zuma‚ Van Rooyen interdicts

The new public protector says she will leave the dispute over the state capture report prepared by h.

Teenagers' plan to wed hits snags

By Mary Papayya and Mhlaba Memela | Jan 08, 2010 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

EFFORTS to stop the wedding of two teenagers gathered steam yesterday when police questioned the boy's parents.

KwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize this week asked provincial police commissioner Mamunye Ngobeni to intervene after hearing that a 17-year-old youth had provided ilobolo for a 14-year-old girl.

Ngobeni's office said yesterday that statements had been taken and that the final docket would be handed to the prosecutor for a decision.

"Statements from the boy's parents were taken.

"We are waiting for the girl to be examined by a district surgeon before the report is finalised and sent to the courts," said police spokesperson Jay Naicker.

The parents were unavailable for comment.

However, the girl's grandfather, Mdumgazwe Shozi, confirmed that iilobolo was paid on Tuesday and that the couple's parents had given consent for the young pair to wed.

He did not divulge how much lobolo the youth paid for the prospective bride.

The premier said it was important that the parents be instructed on the legal implications of giving their blessing to a marriage involving minors.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT