Twenty-eight female guards were unfairly dismissed by a security company because the client‚ Metrora.
THE Western Cape transport department says a spate of incidents of contravening traffic laws by SA Roadlink is why it wants to ban the buses in the province.
Transport and public works MEC Robin Carlisle's office said it wanted to stop Roadlink operations after a driver was arrested for drunk driving in Worcester on Saturday night.
The driver was transporting 70 passengers from Cape Town to Johannesburg. His alcohol level was 0,57. The legal limit for professional drivers is 0,02.
In another incident two of Roadlink's buses were declared unroadworthy in George in the past few days.
Department spokesperson Solly Malatsi said: "A chain of incidents involving SA Roadlink has been building up to an extent where we had to take action. The company has been contravening traffic laws. Some buses were found to be unroadworthy and others were operating without permits." He said the department met the company management last September.
Malatsi said SA Roadlink committed itself to road safety and adherence to traffic laws at the meeting.
Details about the banning of the operations would be revealed today.
Transport spokesperson Logan Maistry said the minister, Sibusiso Ndebele, would also meet Roadlink soon.
He said 1200 unroadworthy buses had been impounded since December last year.
SA Roadlink spokesperson Lumka Oliphant said heads would roll after the arrest of the drunk driver.