PARENTS who employ childminders have been urged to ensure that they have attended a basic first aid course in case of an emergency.
This comes after a five-old-boy died when he accidentally hanged himself yesterday at his home in Northdale near Pietermaritzburg.
Police officers identified the toddler as Wandile Masikane.
ER24 spokesperson Derrick Banks told Sowetan: "Paramedics preformed a full resuscitation on the little boy for a long time but unfortunately it was unsuccessful and he was declared dead on the accident scene."
It is believed that the boy, who was alone at the time, was playing with a tie hanging from a cupboard door in the bedroom after he had climbed on to a small chair.
"A domestic worker found him slumped with the tie still around his neck," Banks said.
"We urge parents who have childminders to make sure that they have a basic first aid course to prevent accidents like these from occurring.
"This course could help save a life until emergency personnel arrive on the scene."
Inspector Joey Jeevan said the police, who received the report of the death of the toddler soon after it happened, had opened an inquest docket and were investigating the incident.
She also urged parents to be mindful of their children's whereabouts at all times.
"We call on parents to always ensure that they don't lose sight of their little ones," she said.