Sun Oct 23 05:25:55 CAT 2016

Durban beaches get bomb all-clear

By Sne Masuku | Nov 19, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

KWAZULU-NATAL police have declared Durban beaches safe for visitors after an initial bomb scare

This assurance comes after the discovery of numerous bomb devices on the city's beaches last week.

The startling discovery of six such devices - in front of the Addington Hospital - triggered an intensive search by members of the bomb disposal unit, who subsequently found three more of the bombs buried in the sand on Tuesday.

Police said the beach was immediately cordoned off and paramedics were in attendance in case of an explosion.

The search continued yesterday - but the beaches were then opened to the public after the assurance by bomb experts that the devices were not harmful, said police spokesperson Phindile Hadebe.

"Bombs as old as from the 1950s, a type used in World War Two, were found.

"The search for more bombs is continuing, though they are not dangerous.

"I would like to assure the people who will be visiting our beaches that they will be perfectly safe and that they don't have reason to worry," Radene said.

She said they did not believe the bombs were placed there deliberately.

But she encouraged the public to alert the police immediately if they came across similar devices.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT