SAO PAULO - Felipe Massa has reignited the controversy over the "crash-gate" affair at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, saying his Ferrari-bound teammate Fernando Alonso must have been involved in the Renault plot.
Speaking at a meeting late on Wednesday with reporters ahead of this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, Massa said: "He knew. (It's an) absolute certainty."
The 27-year-old Brazilian driver's comments caused an uproar and prompted Ferrari to issue a statement on the team's website stressing that he was talking only about his own feelings, rather than any factual evidence.
Massa also said he had vowed not to allow his feelings about the subterfuge that led to compatriot Nelson Piquet Jr deliberately crashing to help Alonso win the Singapore Grand Prix to interfere with his relationship next year with the Spaniard. In his Ferrari-vetted official statement, Massa said: "What I've said is the outcome of a hunch I've had and is not based on any concrete evidence.
"The FIA World Council announced that there was no indication that Fernando may have been informed of what had happened and I respect this outcome.
"I'm very disappointed about what transpired last year in Singapore: I have already said several times what I thought about it and now it's time to close that chapter," said Massa, who is recovering from head injuries suffered after a crash in Hungary in August. - Sapa-AFP