THE Limpopo education department is to investigate allegations of food poisoning following the death of a 12-year-old pupil who allegedly ate "contaminated food".
Itumeleng Phihlela allegedly died after ate the food at school. The incident allegedly happened last Thursday at Kgobokanang Primary School at Indermark village in Blouberg. He had allegedly eaten food served to pupils.
According to his mother Stella, Itumeleng started vomiting and had a running stomach after eating the food.
He died while receiving treatment at Helene Franz Hospital at Senwabarwana.
The department yesterday said it was still waiting for postmortem results to determine the real cause of the boy's death. Departmental spokesperson Ndo Mangala said they would only act after receiving the results.
"As a department we are saddened by the death of one of our pupils, but it is still early to start pointing fingers at anyone before getting the postmortem results," said Mangala.
He said it was also surprising that other pupils who allegedly ate the same food did not have problems.
Itumeleng's mother yesterday confirmed that her son had eaten food provided by the school before without experiencing any problems.
"Itumeleng used to eat the food provided at the school and never experienced any problems. His sudden death raises a lot of questions," said the grieving mother.
She pleaded with the department to investigate the matter and take appropriate action against whoever might be responsible.
Mangala said the allegations that an unknown woman was responsible would form part of their investigations. He said police would also be informed.
Morris Motsoko, a local DA branch chairperson , said a community meeting will be held today to discuss the circumstances that led to the boy's death.