Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
TRAINER Nick Durandt and his charge Simphiwe Nongqayi jetted off last night to Mexico where the "Golden Master" will fight that country's idol, Jorge "Travieso" Arce, for the IBF junior bantamweight title next Wednesday.
The belt was vacated by Vic "Raging Bull" Darchinyan in August after learning that his promoter, Gary Shaw, did not make a bid for the right to stage his fight with Nongqayi.
Local promoter Branco Milenkovic won the bid with $100 000 (R762000).
Nongqayi, a former WBF undefeated champion, won the number-one spot and the rights to fight for it in February after defeating Arce's younger brother Francisco Arce in Mexico.
Durandt said he knows exactly what to expect from Jorge, who ended the illustrious career of Masibulele "Hawk" Makepula with a fourth-round stoppage for the WBC super flyweight title eliminator in 2006.
"We have got to fight according to plan and not make same mistake that my other fighter Hawk did by mixing it with Jorge. I think Nongqayi is capable of outboxing Arce. Nongqayi is in superb condition," Durandt said.
Durandt guided Isaac Hlatshwayo to victory for the IBF welterweight belt in the US last month, but Hlatshwayo has bolted Durandt's stable and rejoined Manny Fernandez.
Durandt's other fighter, Malcolm "The Stone" Klassen, surrendered the IBF junior lightweight belt to Roberto "The Ghost" Guerrero in the US two weeks ago.