THE suspected hitmen in an alleged conspiracy to murder a Limpopo businessman have told the Thohoyandou magistrate's court they had nothing to do with any plot to kill him.
Moses Ntsenene and Vincent Phakula said yesterday during their bail application that they had been in the house to protect their co-accused, Doris Mthembi.
Mthembi is alleged to have hired Ntsenene and Phakula to kill her husband Godhard Mugwena.
The two were arrested last month with Mthembi and Muvhango soapie actor Joseph Ragwala.
The four are accused of conspiring to murder Mugwena in Thohoyandou.
During their bail application, Ntsenene and Phakula told the court they were assaulted and threatened by police who forced them to confess that they had been planning to kill Mugwena.
They said they were in the house to guard Mthembi who they claim was under threat from strangers who were terrorising her.
However, when cross-examined by prosecutor Mashudu Nekhumbe they failed to divulge the promised payment and said that they were arrested before they could reach an agreement.
The hearing will continue on Friday when Mthembi and Ragwala are expected to take the witness stand .