The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
THE reigning Miss HIV and Aids has had her crown taken away after allegations of misconduct.
Tebogo Leso-Dames is accused of spreading malicious rumours about the "poor organisation of the Mr and Miss HIV and Aids event". She allegedly also claimed that event organiser Marumo Mabotja had squandered the money meant to pay participants.
This is the country's first beauty pageant of its kind. Launched last year, the pageant is aimed at changing perceptions about people living with HIV-Aids. It is also aimed at encouraging those infected to come out into the open and declare their status.
Mabotja said she had replaced Leso-Dames with another participant, Andronica Mogano. She accused Leso-Dames of "acting beyond her scope of work by releasing incorrect information about the pageant" without management's authorisation.
"The management of Mr and Miss HIV and Aids would like to put it on record that we have removed the crown from Leso-Dames and given it to Andronica Mogano," Mabotja said.
Mabotja said among the reasons for her decision was that Leso-Dames, despite being given a lifeline to opportunities after winning the contest, had in fact bad-mouthed the organisers.
"The woman has guts to spread lies that I was sponsored to the tune of R4million but failed to pay the contestants. She must substantiate her lies," said a livid Mabotja.
She said sponsorship was promised but never materialised. This resulted in her having to sponsor the event from her own pocket.
Approached for comment yesterday, Leso-Dames confirmed she had been dethroned and said she had no hard feelings about the matter.