Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
SIMPHIWE Nongqayi and Zolani Tete have forfeited their respective WBF super flyweight and flyweight titles, following their pursuit of IBF and WBO belts.
These Eastern Cape fighters are stablemates in the camp of accomplished mentor Nick Durandt, who will mastermind the corner of his other charge, IBF junior lightweight holder Malcolm "The Stone" Klassen, against Robert Guerrero in Houston, Texas, on Sunday morning.
Their sin, according to Howard Goldberg, the Capetonian who represents the Australia-based boxing body, is being involved in fights that were sanctioned by other boxing bodies.
Nongqayi will fight for the vacant IBF belt in Mexico against that country's fighter Jorge "Travieso" Arce on September 15 while Tete will fight for the WBO Africa title at Wembley Arena in Johannesburg on September 25.
"Their championship status has been officially withdrawn," Goldberg announced yesterday.
"Golden Master" Nongqayi won his title in 2006 and has defended it three times while Tete, whose nickname is "Last Born", won his last year and had yet to defend it.
"They are outstanding role models, true sportsmen, excellent fighters and a credit to South African boxing. We are proud to have had them as our world champions," Goldberg said.
"The WBF is proud to have been an integral part of both fighters' journeys so far. We will watch their future with great pride."
Promoter Branco Milenkovic said he was grateful to the WBF for giving his charges opportunities, adding that Tete's next fight will form part of his boxing extravaganza that will include Takalani Ndlovu, Daniel Bruwer, Michael Schultz and Vusi Malinga.