Tue Oct 25 08:58:03 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.


By Canaan Mdletshe | Aug 18, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

A 12-YEAR-OLD Grade 3 pupil who was allegedly raped three times on her way to school has dropped out because she fears for her life.

The child from the Mboza area in Manguzi was allegedly raped in April by someone she knows, but the perpetrator was not arrested.

Speaking to Sowetan yesterday her uncle said the child was on her way to school when she was accosted by the man.

He allegedly dragged her to nearby bushes and raped her three times.

"When she threatened to speak about what he had done to her, he threatened to kill her. He even jabbed her all over the body with a blunt object," her uncle said.

"Since the incident she has not attended school because she is so frightened. And to make matters worse the culprit was not arrested despite the fact that we reported the matter to the Manguzi police."

He said after doing follow-ups at the police station to find out why the suspect was never arrested, they were told that the case had been referred to Jozini.

"In Jozini we were sent from pillar to post when we asked what had happened or why the suspect was not arrested," he said.

Police spokesperson Captain Jabulani Mdletshe promised to investigate what had happened with the case.

Meanwhile, the department of justice and constitutional development in KwaZulu-Natal has stepped in to reinstate the rape case of a 23-year-old mentally disabled woman, also in Manguzi.

This after a Sowetan article last Thursday in which the victim's mother pleaded to have the alleged rapists brought to book.

The woman was allegedly raped by a senior policeman in 2003, when she was only 17. Early this year she was raped again by a known man, who escaped from court.

KwaZulu-Natal justice ministry head Bridgette Shabalala said yesterday that the chief prosecutor of Empangeni managed to trace the case involving the policeman.

She said the case had been withdrawn on February 18 last year when the psychologist who assessed the then teenager failed to attend court.

"The case will be reinstated and it will be tried in the backlog court."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT