In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.
Premier Soccer League CEO, Kjetil Siem, has voiced his disappointment and anger at the way fans behaved at Saturday night's MTN8 1st leg semi-final match between Ajax Cape Town and Kaizer Chiefs at Newlands stadium.
The match was marred by unruly behaviour during the closing stages with spectators venting their anger by throwing missiles on to the field.
Fans also prevented match officials from immediately leaving the field once the game had been completed.
"This is not something we want to see or can accept at our matches. It is an absolute disgrace, not only towards Kaizer Chiefs and Ajax as the clubs involved in the match, but to the PSL and our partners. What happened could prove disastrous for the whole South African soccer family. It is against the spirit of play and damages the image of our league as well as our reputation as hosts of the World Cup," said Siem.
"In numerous interviews to international media, I have continuously praised our football fans and underlined how safe visitors should feel when they come to South Africa. I also said our fans have a nice attitude and even children and families should feel welcome and safe. The type of behaviour we saw on Saturday reminds me of times when the English hooligans where brainless idiots that nearly ruined a whole industry for its country. I am ashamed," Siem commented. "With the focus of the international football community on us, we can ill-afford to show the world such disgusting behaviour."
The Norwegian praised the efforts of PSL general manager Ace Ncobo for his attempts to calm the situation.
The league will submit reports from various parties to PSL prosecutor Zola Majavu to decide upon the next course of action.