The University of Cape Town on Tuesday morning confirmed reports that “four cars were set alight at .
THE South African Municipal Workers' Union has remained defiant about their having a case against the Johannesburg Metro police chief Chris Ngcobo though he was cleared of all charges against him.
Samwu provincial secretary Vincent Vena maintained a defiant stance after the City of Johannesburg yesterday made public the findings of the inquiry that was set up to investigate Ngcobo and three other senior officials in the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department.
The union, which earlier this year called its members to a week-long strike to demand Ngcobo's suspension, said it would go as high as Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Sicelo Shiceka to pursue their allegations.
"The matter is still at the branch level. We have written to the city manager (Mavela Dlamini) to express our dissatisfaction with the findings," Vena said.
"If we don't get any joy we will go to the ANC and even the minister of Cooperate Governance and Traditional Affairs."
Among the allegations Samwu levelled at Ngcobo was that he had protected corrupt officials in his department and misappropriated funds.
The 77-page dossier that was compiled during the investigations, included 12 allegations of which not a single one implicated Ngcobo and co-accused Abel Nkosi, Amon Kganyago and Koti Essau.
"We don't feel as if we defamed or damaged anyone's reputation, so we are taking the matter forward," Vena said.
"We want an independent investigator to conduct a fair investigation. The lawyers the City of Johannesburg hired does legal work for the council and there is no way they can be fair."
Ngcobo, who was present at a press briefing by executive mayor Amos Masondo at the council head office in Braamfontein, did not say much.
"I am happy, very excited," he said.
A council official said Ngcobo could have resumed his duties as police chief on Monday this week, but this had been delayed because of outstanding issues between him, Nkosi, Kganyago and Essau.
After stepping aside in February, Ngcobo was deployed to the council's 2010 World Cup projects.