Sun Oct 23 05:33:20 SAST 2016

wife held over hubby's killing

By Canaan Mdletshe | Aug 12, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE estranged wife of a policeman who was killed six days before he officially divorced her has been arrested.

Sma Mhlongo, 32, was arrested with three self-confessed hired hitmen.

Inspector Dan Mhlongo , 42, of Wangu area, wasstationed at Nyoni police station in KwaZulu-Natal.

Sma and her boyfriend, Bhekokwakhe Linda, and two hired hitmen, Wandile Mabanga and Mfana Khanyi, appeared in the Nyoni magistrate's court yesterday on a charge of murder.

The three suspects were arrested on Saturday night, hours after the burial of Mhlongo, while the wife was arrested on Sunday.

The couple were no longer living together and were in the process of divorcing.

Nyoni police spokesperson Inspector Percy Buthelezi said police arrested the three after the burial, and the wife the following day.

"Mhlongo was not feeling well, so on July 23 he was visited by three men, under the pretext that they wanted to see him. Two of them entered the house, while one stood guard outside. One of the two men drew out a firearm and shot Mhlongo once in the forehead.

"They waited for him to die before they left," Buthelezi said. He added that Mhlongo was with his two children who were studying.

He said the person arrested was Linda, who led them to the two alleged hitmen at Es'khawini, and Mabanga was found with the suspected murder weapon.

"Linda confessed that Sma had asked him to get her hitmen to kill Mhlongo since last year. The first people Linda organised wanted R45000, which she said was too much.

"And the three were subsequently hired and they only asked for R15000 and were paid R10000 deposit," Buthelezi said.

He said police visited the Mhlongos and started suspecting that something was fishy after the wife demanded to go to the mortuary.

"This is something unusual because in our tradition, it is the eldest among the family that have to do all those things, but she insisted."

Buthelezi said that on the day of the funeral, the wife refused to go to the graveyard, but "suspecting" police forced her to. "After the burial, she said she wanted to go and change in a car and disappeared."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT