Millions intended to be spent on the health needs of Eastern Cape residents have gone missing from d.
A PRETORIA father who sexually molested his adopted 12-year-old daughter for years may face an even tougher sentence after unsuccessfully appealing against his conviction.
The father launched an appeal against his conviction on charges of rape and indecent assault after an acting high court judge sentenced him to 10 years imprisonment in 2005.
He tried to withdraw his appeal when he learnt that a full bench of the high court in Pretoria felt his sentence had been too lenient, but judges Eberhard Bertelsmann, Chris Eksteen and Vivian Tlhapi yesterday dismissed his withdrawal application as well as the appeal.
According to evidence before the regional court, the man repeatedly raped and indecently assaulted his daughter for two years after she turned 12. He had adopted the girl when she was very young and had divorced her mother shortly before the molestation started.
The girl had remained with him when her mother started another relationship and indicated that she had no interest in looking after the child.
Judge Bertelsmann said the man was the only father the girl had ever known. He had not only abused his position of trust, but had also blackmailed the child into giving in to his sexual demands by withdrawing permission for her to take part in sport and social events.
The man initially vehemently denied the charges and accused her of manufacturing the charges out of spite.
He admitted the rape charges to a probation officer only after his conviction, but then blamed the girl, claiming she seduced him and that his conduct was excusable.
Judge Bertelsmann said the sentence of 10 years imprisonment was "far too lenient".
The case was postponed to September 15 to allow the defence time to prepare argument and obtain a pre-sentencing report. - Sapa