Correctional Services said that “matters are under control” at Johannesburg’s Sun City Prison on Wed.
THE DRIVER of a SA Roadlink bus that crashed on the N3 highway on December 24 2006, killing 12 people, was yesterday acquitted of 12 charges of culpable homicide.
Driver Charles Vaudim of Durban pleaded not guilty to the charges before Pietermaritzburg regional magistrate M Mngomezulu.
Vaudim's plea was that a rear tyre burst, causing the bus to veer out of control, hitting a bridge on the N3 highway in Pietermaritzburg.
Mngomezulu said the prosecution failed to prove that Vaudim had driven so recklessly and negligently that he was responsible for the death of the passengers.
"One could not say that his plea was false or not reasonably possibly true," Mngomezulu said.
The bus left Park Station, Johannesburg, for Durban and crashed at 4.21am on Christmas Eve of 2006.
In another accident involving the same bus operator in KwaZulu-Natal last year, 11 people were killed.
The bus company has been in the spotlight several times and KwaZulu-Natal's transport MEC, Bheki Cele, suspended its licence in the province in January.
This led to a war of words between Cele and the company, which in turn led to court action.
Cele labelled SA Roadlink buses "coffins on wheels" and said it was in the public interest that the buses be pulled off the road.
Several buses of the Roadlink fleet were found to be defective and were impounded. In February, the bus company offered to send its entire fleet of buses to government testing centres.
Roadlink spokesperson Herman Steyn at the time said it would "be given the stamp of approval and hoped the exercise may put an end to serious allegations against our safety standards".
The court case between Cele and the operator was later withdrawn when the company countered that it was being unfairly singled out.