Sun Oct 23 20:03:27 SAST 2016
Plea for a 72-hour break from Fees Must Fall

Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .

Managers call for a probe into 'mess' at the SABC

By Buddy Naidu | Jun 30, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

THE management team of the SABC will today ask Parliament to conduct a full forensic audit into the paralysis that has crippled the broadcaster over the past 18 months.

This comes as the national assembly is expected to endorse a unanimous communications portfolio committee decision to dissolve the board.

Management will also present their corporate and financial turnaround strategy. The SABC currently has a deficit of more than R800million and is seeking a R2,4billion bailout from the government.

Spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago confirmed that calls for an audit were about "finding closure" to problems plaguing the debt-ridden broadcaster.

The calls follow allegations and counter-allegations between a hostile board and management since the former was appointed by former president Thabo Mbeki in December 2007.

Kganyago said: "The issue has been raised by two executives and is about finding closure on the issues raised in Parliament last week."

A three-day inquiry was held in Parliament into the fitness of the board to hold office.

Most members have resigned, but legislation stipulates that they serve a three-month notice period.

But the portfolio committee said the board was "dysfunctional", and on Friday resolved to dissolve it.

During the inquiry, SABC acting chief operating officer Charlotte Mampane said: "A full forensic audit is needed to unravel the mess."

Sipho Sithole, the head of strategy and risk, said an impending crisis over corporate governance and financial issues had been brought to the board's attention as early as March last year.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT