The Fees Must Fall protests had dire consequences for café employee Eddie at the University of Cape .
FIVE more cases of swine flu have been confirmed in South Africa, bringing to seven the number of people infected with deadly H1N1 influenza.
Three of the victims are from abroad - the United States, Britain and France. The rest are South Africans who recently travelled to countries affected by swine flu.
The Department of Health said yesterday that the fact that cases were detected and results made available within a short space of time indicated the country's preparedness and ability to respond to the H1N1 pandemic.
"The patients are well and being managed at home in accordance with the World Health Organisation and the Department of Health guidelines," said department spokesperson Fidel Hadebe.
Two cases were confirmed on Friday and the other three at the weekend. The latest victims are believed to be displaying mild symptoms.
Swine flu was declared a global pandemic over two weeks ago.
It first emerged in Mexico in April and has spread to 74 countries around the world. The WHO has reported more than 30000 cases, including 142 deaths to date.
Hadebe said the third patient had travelled from London and presented flu-like symptoms last Wednesday and the diagnosis was confirmed on Friday.
"The fourth case was reported in Western Cape. The victim recently travelled to the United States," he said.
The confirmation of the two cases comes just two days after the department announced that a France rugby player had been diagnosed with swine flu.
The first swine flu case in the country was confirmed two weeks ago when a 12-year-old boy arrived from the US.