NO-NONSENSE police chief Bheki Cele is hot on the trail of the suspects who gunned down three taxi operators.
In fact, the KwaZulu-Natal MEC for community safety and liaison is confident "the culprits will be arrested today".
Cele said some members of the taxi industry gave him details of the killers after he told them he would not lift the suspension of taxi operations until they named the suspects in the murder of three people in Nongoma last week.
Cele said some taxi operators heeded his call and came forward with the names of those responsible.
"We are certainly going to arrest them sooner than they think," he said.
"It's only a matter of time because we are after people we know. We've got their names, we know who they are and where they live, so it's just a matter of pouncing on them."
Cele had promised to lift the suspension of taxi operations provided the names of all the perpetrators of the current violence were revealed and arrests are made. He insisted yesterday that as soon as arrests were made operations would resume.
The department of transport had shut down about 25 routes operated by the Nongoma Taxi Association, as per peace agreement signed in 2007 by the feuding taxi operators that the department should intervene as soon as violence erupted in the area.
Meanwhile, four people were arrested late yesterday in connection with the attack on three people on Tuesday in Nongoma. A school teacher, Busisiwe Simelane, was killed in the attack.
"Yes, we have arrested four people and confiscated five illegal firearms. More arrests are imminent," said Cele.