Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
At least 300 automobile workers protested outside two branches of General Motors in the Eastern Cape , the National Union of Metalworkers said.
Regional organiser Andile Zitho said they started protesting during the lunch break yesterday, and would continue each lunch break until Monday when they are expected to appear in the labour court.
Zitho said on Friday the union had requested the court to convene an urgent session to have General Motors SA declare at least 300 dismissals null and void on the grounds that they did not comply with Section 189a of the Labour Relations Act.
He said the Act stipulated that the company should try to find meaningful ways to avoid retrenchments, and to allow fair criteria in terms of the process.
"When we looked at the type of packages the workers got, it was minimal and in no way fair. They did not engage in meaningful ways," said Zitho.
A court date has been set down for Monday.
Since January last year, about 1000 workers have been retrenched but Zitho stressed the court action was only related to about 300 workers. "Until the court hearing, we will continue to strike during the lunch break." - Sapa