Millions intended to be spent on the health needs of Eastern Cape residents have gone missing from d.
Boxing SA chairperson Peter Ngatane says there is no controversy surrounding the sanctioning of Mzolisi Yoyo as the mandatory challenger for the South African lightweight title that is held by Patrick Malinga.
Yoyo was reported last week as having failed a medical test.
Boxing SA's rules also stipulate that any challenger for a national title must have fought two rated opponents and won at least one of those fights in order to qualify for the challenge .
Yoyo fought once against a boxer who was not rated. He stopped Luyanda Jako in the fifth round in June last year.
"I don't have the right information now regarding the opponents Yoyo fought," said Ngatane yesterday.
But to make matters worse, Boxing SA has denied Malinga the deserved opportunity to make a voluntary defence.
"Did they request for it? asked Ngatane. "There is no controversy regarding this fight. I am in possession of the right results [of the medical tests] and the fight is going ahead as planned.
"I think there was a misunderstanding between Yoyo and the private laboratory that he went to. I personally requested the results from Eastern Cape service provider Phakamile Jacobs, after hearing about the tests.
"I also communicated directly with the laboratory and all was fine."
Ngatane is a doctor by profession.
Malinga's first defence of the belt he won in August last year, will be presented by Future Boxing Promotions on May 22 at Finetown Multi-purpose Centre in Lenasia, south of Johannesburg.
Promoters Reggie Hilmer and Gavin Hope have already met all the necessary requirements.
Meanwhile, trainer Ntshengedzeni Netshibhera from Thohoyandou was lucky not to be injured during a robbery last weekend.