Correctional Services spokesman Manelisi Wolela has denied allegations that student leader Mcebo Dla.
A 20-year-old man accused of hacking at least 12 people and killing three others with an axe and a shovel is expected to appear before the Mayflower periodical court today.
The Sowetan last month reported how Boy Duba, who has already had a court appearance, allegedly went on the rampage at Waverly Trust near Ermelo on March 22 and attacked a number of people - including a police officer who sustained serious injuries.
The attacks took place after Duba began "behaving like a deranged person" two days earlier, which forced his family to call for an ambulance.
The ambulance personnel arrived and decided to leave him behind since he appeared "normal".
Two days later, police say Duba used an axe and a shovel to attack several people in his vicinity and a neighbour's goats.
Police said three people were killed, while 12 people were seriously injured.
Among those killed were 17-year-old Patricia Khumalo and her six-month-old daughter Kamogelo.
At the time of the attacks, Duba was a Grade 11 pupil at Waverly High School. His parents later told police that he was an "epileptic sufferer".
"They told us that he spent the entire week at home before all hell broke loose on March 22," said Captain Leonard Hlathi, spokesperson for Mpumalanga's organised crime unit.
A 70-year-old neighbour, Ntombikayise Dlamini, also died, after being hacked across the head with an axe.