Sat Oct 22 07:29:16 CAT 2016

Ngcobo probe starts

By unknown | Mar 27, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Tebogo Monama

Tebogo Monama

The probe into embattled chief of Johannesburg Metro Police Department Chris Ngcobo is on track.

The City of Johannesburg has confirmed that the investigation into claims that Ngcobo was corrupt will start this week and will be completed within the three-month deadline.

Ngcobo announced early in February that he would temporarily step down while the claims against him and three senior officials were investigated.

JMPD officers went on strike for a week last month, calling for a probe into the conduct of Ngcobo and three other officials.

They demanded that deputy director Abel Nkosi be probed for covering up for internal investigator Elmarie de Beer, who the union claims had bought an impounded vehicle for R600.

Roodepoort testing station manager Koti Essau is investigated for altering the test results of an applicant for a driver's licence.

The other demand during the strike was that JMPD must not employ pensioners. The two were suspended and the city has promised not to employ pensioners.

City council spokesperson Gabu Tugwana said: "In any investigation there are preliminary issues that need to be settled to ensure that the investigation runs smoothly. The investigation has commenced.

"It should, however, be recalled that this investigation includes four employees who have also made certain requests. We can confirm that these employees have also entered requests for further particulars and the city needs to respond to them as well."

Samwu spokesperson Dumisani Langa said: "We have submitted every relevant information to the city and we tried to back our claims with documentation."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT