Mon Oct 24 22:08:21 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

I can't believe he killed them

By unknown | Mar 25, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Tebogo Monama

Tebogo Monama

While the man accused of killing three people and injuring 13 others was appearing in court, the Mayflower, Mpumalanga, community was trying to come to terms with what had caused him to snap.

Boy Duba, 20, yesterday appeared in the Mayflower magistrate's court after he went on the rampage with an axe on Sunday, killing 70-year-old Ntombikayise Dlamini, Patricia Khumalo, 16, and her six-month-old baby Kamogelo.

The epileptic Grade 11 pupil at Waverley High School also critically injured his uncle, David Duba, and a police officer.

His aunt, Phikile Duba, who he also injured, said: "He was hacking everybody. He was chasing children around as he wielded an axe. This year he said he did not want to go back to school because he was being bullied. He said other children always mocked him because he was epileptic. But the family forced him to go back because he is sick and we wanted him to learn so that he can be independent.

"He used to tell me that when he is at school his mind goes blank. I didn't think he would do something this violent."

Last week, Boy did not go to school as he was sick. He was supposed to go to Johannesburg for treatment on the day he went on the rampage.

"He said he was going to get ready but he started attacking people. I tried to run away with my son but he struck me and Sabelo with a shovel," Duba said.

Boy's grandmother, Smangele Nkabinde, said: "I am so disappointed. I am so ashamed and hurt."

Nkabinde sustained facial injuries after Boy attacked him.

Boy's uncle Duba was injured when he tried to restrain him. Gugu Duba, 10, was also hurt.

Boy's mother died a few years ago. No one in the family is employed.

After attacking his family, he moved to the Khumalo family, 200 metres from his home, where he attacked and killed Patricia and her child. As the area is in the middle of the bush, there was nowhere for them to hide.

Boy and Patricia were schoolmates.

Patricia's distraught mother, Maria Khumalo, said: "I was at a wedding when the incident happened. I still cannot believe that my children are gone. I am not even sure when we will bury them. I don't have any money. My husband died 16 years ago."

Khumalo's other grandchild, Tebogo, 8, is recovering in hospital after sustaining a fractured skull from the attack.

Boy first showed signs of violence on Friday and the family called the police to calm him down. He was tied up but managed to untie himself and went on his rampage.

He was taken to hospital for treatment for head injuries. At his court appearance yesterday he asked for the case to be postponed so that he could seek legal assistance. He will appear again on April 23.

Prosecutor Rofhiwa Khorombi said the case was also postponed for further investigation and for Boy to be referred to a mental institution for observation.

Gugu Mathebula, who assisted Boy at his court appearance, said: "Everyone was scared of him. I had to come closer and get to know him better. I don't think he is mentally stable. He believes his family was trying to poison him so he wanted them to die with him.

"His story is very sad. He always talks about his late mother and his absent father."


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT