About 70 pupils at a school in Centane, Transkei, were rushed to hospital yesterday afternoon with suspected food poisoning, the Eastern Cape health department said.
Education department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said the pupils, of Teko Vocational School, had shown symptoms of diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps.
They were taken to Butterworth Hospital, Kupelo said.
The incident came less than 24 hours after 99 children from a private school at Idutywa were hospitalised with the same complaint.
Kupelo said the department had sent officials to both schools to check their conditions and the quality of food and water. - Sapa