Fri Oct 21 15:27:57 SAST 2016

MEC's hubby in 'tender scam'

By unknown | Feb 20, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Mhlaba Memela

Mhlaba Memela

Officials in the KwaZulu-Natal department of arts, culture and tourism have accused MEC Weziwe Thusi of attempting to sweep alleged corruption involving her husband, Nhlanhla, under the carpet.

They allege that while five senior officials, including Thusi's husband, were fingered in a R500000 scam, only one person was brought to a disciplinary hearing.

Thusi was appointed as MEC in 2006.

The incident affecting her husband dates back to 2004. It's alleged that after Thusi's appointment, senior managers left the department - all under a cloud.

The alleged exodus happened at the time when department head, Stella Khumalo, and the provincial treasury were investigating allegations of corruption and malpractices.

Nhlanhla, a former assistant director Bonga Ntanzi, a former head of department, former officials Hamilton Ntshangase, Zakhe Ndimande and Mandlendoda Mhlongo had all been fingered in the alleged corruption.

It's alleged that the men colluded with music company Maltre Productions to obtain a R500000 tender to record 10 musical groups in 2005.

The forensic investigation report reveals that the payment was unauthorised.

The MEC's husband allegedly played a big role in helping Maltre Productions obtain the tender without it being advertised. The owner of the company is Malcolm Nhleko, who is known to be Nhlanhla's friend.

Nhleko works in premier S'bu Ndebele's office as director of heritage.

Ntanzi now works for the Newcastle municipality while Ntshangase is the municipal manager of uMvoti.

An official in the department told Sowetan that Ndimande was the only one who was hauled before a disciplinary hearing.

"Ndimande was charged with misconduct for failing to follow policies and procedures," said the source.

Last Friday Ndimande received a letter informing him that he had been found guilty.

The forensic report recommended that Nhlanhla, Ntanzi, Ntshangase, Ndimande, and Mhlongo be charged with embezzling taxpayers.

Vukani Mbhele, the spokesperson for the department, denied that the MEC was protecting her husband.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT