Tue Oct 25 05:12:57 SAST 2016
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Des Van Rooyen. Picture Credit: Gallo Images
Van Rooyen suddenly withdraws his interdict

In another twist involving the public protector’s office‚ the Minister of Co-operative Governance an.

Dube ID parade procedural - cop

By unknown | Feb 17, 2009 | COMMENTS [ 0 ]

Katlego Moeng

Katlego Moeng

The identity parade conducted after the arrest of the men accused of killing singer Lucky Dube was done according to procedure.

Parade conductor Mphikeleli Vana said this when giving evidence before Judge Seun Moshidi in the Johannesburg high court yesterday. The judge has already ruled evidence from the parade admissible.

Sfiso Mhlanga, 32, Julius Qxowa, 30, and Mbuti Mabe, 29, are on trial for killing Dube during a botched hijacking incident in October 2007.

The men also face charges of hijacking and possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition.

Vana told the court that the witness who gave evidence last week, Siphiwe Mlaba, "took only one second to identify" accused number one, Mhlanga.

Mlaba, hijacked on October 20 2007 allegedly by the accused, had testified last week that "I would recognise the man who pressed the gun to my chest one way or the other in any situation".

He identified Mhlanga as that man in court.

Moshidi yesterday became impatient with what he termed a rehash of the trail-within-a-trail and wanted to move on from the identity parade issue. The accused were remanded in custody.

The trail continues.


Login OR Join up TO COMMENT