Open letter to South Africa’s students‚ universities and government‚ represented by Minister in the .
C anaan Mdletshe
SA Roadlink's offer to send its entire fleet to government testing centres has been described as a publicity stunt.
KwaZulu-Natal MEC for transport, community safety and liaison Bheki Cele said yesterday the company should have performed these tests a long time ago.
"At this time SA Roadlink do not seem to have undertaken any voluntary submission of buses for testing purposes, outside of their normal operational requirements," he said.
The company announced on Monday that it would send its buses for testing so that it would be given a stamp of approval.
"SA Roadlink's so-called voluntary vehicle testing for roadworthy certification to end allegations against their safety standards is just a public show-off," said Cele.
"The so-called voluntary testing was nothing extra-ordinary except a mere public betrayal aimed at boosting company sales at the expense of human lives.
"Out of the fleet of 50 buses checked, six have been sent for certification of roadworthiness testing of the company's own accord, of which four of these buses had to undergo their regular annual certification for licensing purposes," he said.
Cele said all the buses that were tested recently had previously been taken off the road by the authorities. The vehicles, therefore, needed to be retested to be allowed back on the road.
Cele said the provisions of the Road Traffic Act stipulated that all public transport vehicles, particularly the Road Transport Quality System vehicles, required a roadworthy certification annually to ensure public safety.
"No SA Roadlink buses are registered in KwaZulu-Natal, and as such none have been sent to any of the province's test stations ," he said.