Tebogo Monama and Mfundekelwa Mkhulisi
The Johannesburg Metro Police Department has buckled under pressure and sent its chief Chris Ngcobo "on special leave".
This after the ANC intervened in the dispute between the South African Municipal Workers Union and the police department.
"We have achieved our objectives of ensuring there was a conducive environment for talks to take place," said Gauteng ANC spokesman Nat Kekana.
He said though it was a labour dispute, the ANC could not sit back and watch as service delivery was being compromised.
"As a ruling party we are able to make interventions but not in a way that undermines existing structures and mechanisms. We can't close our doors to the union," he said.
Last week, the union and the ANC were locked in discussions at Luthuli house over the strike.
The union, on the other hand, yesterday claimed it was victory by the workers and downplayed the role the political party played in the matter.
The JMPD said Ngcobo would be on leave while they "investigated" allegations against him and two other officials.
Ngcobo will address the media this morning in a bid to clarify issues around his surprise departure.
Although both Ngcobo and the council are presenting his departure as special leave, the union and some officials in the JMPD see it as a suspension from duty.
Even spokesman Wayne Minnaar made a slip of the tongue yesterday, saying: "Chris Ngcobo will speak about his suspension at the briefing," he said.
This brings to an end the week-long metro police strike.
The City of Johannesburg said that Ngcobo had "voluntarily" decided to step down.
The metro cops went on strike last Monday saying they wanted Ngcobo to be re-deployed - and also demanded that deputy director Abel Nkosi and Roodepoort testing station manager Koti Essau be suspended.