There were songs and laughter as residents who lost their homes in recent storms received keys to their new houses.
The pain and loss that residents of Molweni on Durban's south coast suffered on November 14 last year was finally wiped away when the provincial housing department gave them new homes.
In Molweni 517 homes were damaged and 335 were completely destroyed.
On Tuesday 15 families received homes. More families are expected receive homes in the coming weeks.
Families that spent three months, including Christmas, in tents said it felt like a 100 years
Thembeni Zulu, a mother of four, said she was over the moon. She said she was scared that there would be another storm but decided to stay.
"I accepted the little help that the government provided at the time," she said.
"I stayed in a tent with my kids, praying that the Lord would give me a house one day.
"Today my prayer was answered. I am very grateful."
Housing and traditional affairs MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu said about 10000 homes were destroyed and 2300 were damaged by the storms.
Mabuyakhulu said they need R172million to rebuild the houses and that the provincial budget is not sufficient.
"We have therefore written to Finance Minister Trevor Manuel and requested financial assistance," Mabuyakhulu said.
He said the provincial government is now looking at insuring RDP houses in the province.